Gamification on Learning Management Systems boosts engagement!
We’re sure you know what gamification is by now (no? Then click here!), so let’s think about why gamification on Learning Management Systems is the perfect online training solution. We’ll use the ‘Mastery Mountain’ to explain why gamification in eLearning will rock your (online) world!
When learners first log in to their Learning Management System (aka gamified Academy), they start at the bottom of the pyramid (below). They don’t know how gamification in eLearning works; they don’t know their way around the LMS. As they start to learn more about the LMS they move up the pyramid and become more skilled, engaged and knowledgeable.
A lot of learners will get stuck at the ‘Novice’ level because they’re not really interested in their LMS and, consequently, their eLearning. Maybe they don’t understand how it really works or why it will benefit them. But get them engaged and they’ll climb the Mastery Mountain!
The way to get your learners engaged is simple: gamification. We think gamification on Learning Management Systems is fantastic and so do our clients! In fact, you’ll even find that we love gamification in eLearning modules, too!
The Gamification Process
Here’s the process of gamification that will supercharge learner engagement and get learners climbing the Mastery Mountain:
- The learner logs into their Academy (aka gamified Learning Management System) and sees a message explaining why they are there and what value it will add to their world. They’ll learn about the epic vision behind what they’re about to do and establish whether they are interested in taking their career to the next level – in other words, the user learns about how the gamified eLearning is going to help them. They are then asked to confirm they are on board and raring to go… “Yes!” they will cry, “I want to develop my career!”
- Obviously, in order to get the most out of their Academy, the learner needs to get to grips with how it works and what’s in it for them every step of the way. We start by giving learners a tour of the major areas and explaining how gamification on Learning Management Systems works. For each tutorial they watch they can get a reward, say the ‘Mastery’ badge and 25 points. “Cool!” they say, “These badges are good. I wonder what I get when I hit 100 points..?”
- During their online learning journey, learners are encouraged to change their profile picture, look at leaderboards and check out what other badges they can get. This in itself – due to the gamification features – gives them more rewards and badges. “Ok, I get it – the more I do, the more points I get!”
- Gamification on a Learning Management System encourages competition. The learner can view the leaderboard, see where they rank in comparison with their colleagues and figure out how they can become masters and reach the top – both of the Mastery Mountain and of the leaderboard! “I know who I have to beat – let me at that eLearning!” they say. “But wait… Julie from the North East Sector doesn’t have any badges. Doesn’t she know how to get them? Maybe I should give her some help.”
- The learner has mastered their Academy and is enjoying all elements of gamification in their training. Awesome! Now all they have to do is start their eLearning journey… “Right, time to get started. I’m going to click on ‘My things to do’ and get going.”
Want to find out more? Check out our article on how to make people fall in love with their eLearning by clicking the button below!