Gamification on Learning Management Systems boosts engagement!
Gamification is the application of gaming mechanics and metaphors to non-gaming scenarios to make difficult tasks more palatable. The benefits of gamification have been long documented, and gamification and Learning Management Systems is the perfect online training solution.
As you can see from the ‘Mastery Mountain’ below, as learners interact with a gamified Learning Management System they will gain knowledge about the system and become invested in it.
When learners first log on to their LMS (we call ours the Academy LMS, and it’s currently ranked as the #1 LMS in the world!), they start at the bottom of the pyramid. They don’t really know how gamification on Learning Management Systems works, and they don’t know their way around the LMS. So as they begin to explore and to learn more about the LMS they move up the pyramid and become more skilled, engaged and knowledgeable.
A lot of learners will get stuck at the ‘Novice’ level of the mountain because they’re not really all that interested in their LMS and, consequently, their eLearning. Maybe they don’t understand how it really works or why it will benefit them. A poorly executed training roll-out could be the cause of this disinterest, or a lack of marketing excitement around the launch of the LMS could lead to a disengaged workforce. But once you get them engaged, they’ll soon start to climb the Mastery Mountain!
The Gamification Process
Gamification on Learning Management Systems will supercharge learner engagement and get learners climbing the Mastery Mountain faster. Here’s how:
1. Firstly, before the learner ever logs into their LMS, they’ll have enjoyed plenty of marketing surrounding the training programme from within their organisation. Click here to read our 6 top tips to rock your online learning roll-out!
2. When the learner first logs into their Academy (aka gamified Learning Management System) they see a message reminding them why they are there and what value it will add to their world. They’ll learn about the epic vision behind what they’re about to do and establish whether they are interested in taking their career to the next level – in other words, the employee learns about how the gamified eLearning is going to help them. They are then asked to confirm they are on board and raring to go… “Yes!” they will cry, “I want to develop my career!”
3. Obviously, in order to get the most out of their Academy, the learner needs to get to grips with how the LMS works and what’s in it for them every step of the way. We start by giving learners a tour of the major areas and explaining how gamification on Learning Management Systems works. For each tutorial they watch they can get a reward, say the ‘Mastery’ badge and 25 points. “Cool!” they say, “These badges are good. I wonder what I get when I hit 100 points..?”
4. During their online learning journey, learners are encouraged to change their profile picture, look at leaderboards and check out what other badges they can get. This in itself – due to the gamification features – gives them more rewards and badges. “Ok, I get it – the more I do, the more points and badges I get!”
5. Gamification also encourages a healthy sense of competition. The learner can view the LMS leaderboard, see where they rank in comparison with their colleagues and plan how they can become masters and reach the top. “I know who I have to beat – let me at that eLearning!” they say. “But wait… Julie from the North East Sector doesn’t have any badges. Doesn’t she know how to get them? Maybe I should give her some help.”
6. Now, the learner has mastered their Academy and is enjoying all elements of gamification in their training. Awesome! Now all they have to do is start their eLearning journey… “Right, time to get started. I’m going to click on ‘My things to do’ and get going.”
Pretty soon, your employees will be passionate, determined learners who love their LMS.
This is just one way you can improve learner engagement with gamification on Learning Management Systems – there are more! Click the button below to find out more about gamification in learning and what it can do for your training programme: